Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Papa's Favorite Sherbet

My dad loves this sherbet. Our favorite Kool-Aid to use is tropical punch, but we also have fun experimenting with all of the other flavors. This sherbet is ready to put in the ice cream maker within a few minutes of starting to make it, so it is a great anytime treat.


Papa's Favorite Sherbet

1 envelope Kool-Aid, any flavor
1 1/2 cups sugar, more or less to suit your taste
3 cups soy milk

Whisk together all of the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
*  Once the sherbet is done, the girls have a bowl of it like soft serve. Then I transfer the rest to a covered container and place it in the freezer. If the sherbet becomes to hard in the freezer, I place it briefly in the microwave to make it easier to scoop.

3 comments:

  1. This is great! I've been wondering if soymilk would work in an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany,

    I only ever use soy milk in my ice cream maker. All of the recipes turn out so yummy and wonderful. I will be posting more ice cream recipes as I make them so that I can also post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea. I never thought of using koolaide. Hey my homemade icecream always gets crystalised and really hard within a day of the freezer. I was googling it and I guess if you add arrowroot powder to it it helps. I will try on my next batch.

    ReplyDelete