Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Monday, October 17, 2011

Egg Free, Dairy Free Tay's Special Sauce

Tayana helped me figure out this sauce. I wanted to make a versatile sauce that would be good as a dipping sauce for chicken nuggets, baked on chicken, pork chops, ribs, etc. With Tayana's help and suggestions, I think it turned out perfect. In fact, adding the brown sugar and mustard were her ideas. I was surprised that the girls liked this sauce because it has onions and peppers. I thought it tasted like a Sloppy Joe type of sauce, but Tayana didn't agree since she doesn't like Sloppy Joes. I would like to try it with ground beef and see if we can make a Sloppy Joe that the girls will eat. My huband wouldn't even try the sauce because of the peppers and onions. It's funny how much better my girls are at trying new foods than their daddy is. We've used this sauce several times and each time the meat was so flavorful.

The middle picture is country pork ribs baked in this wonderful sauce. They were so moist and delicious. Place the ribs in a baking dish. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Drain the grease, cover with the prepared sauce then bake an additional 45 minutes or until cooked through.

The bottom picture is pork chops baked in this yummy sauce. I placed the chops in a baking dish and baked them at 350 for 30 minutes. Then I covered them in the sauce and baked them another 30 minutes or until they were cooked through. They were a nice change from our usual Shake 'N Bake coating.




Tay's Special Sauce

1/4 cup diced onions, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup diced green peppers, fresh or frozen
1 cup beef broth or water
1/3 cup ketchup
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp cornstarch, if needed to thicken the sauce

Place all of the ingredients, except for the cornstarch, in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch with a little of the sauce. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the sauce mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Cool before pouring over meat. Store covered in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment